Precision Spindle Metrology
by Eric Marsh
Get this newly released book by one of the world's leading authorities on spindle performance and axis of rotation science.
Precision Spindle Metrology details the concepts of spindle metrology, how to make spindle measurements, and what those measurements mean for machine tool capability and resulting part quality.
Practical, Detailed, Useful
Precision Spindle Metrology provides detailed explanation of spindle measurement processes and data analysis techniques, then applies the processes in several case studies.
In this book, you will learn:
- Relationship of machine tool spindle performance to the roundness, flatness, and surface finish that can be achieved on your workpieces
- Importance of axis of rotation in the alignment of slideways and machine tool metrology in general
- Errors caused by heat generated within spindles
- Instrumentation available for measuring the various parameters of spindle performance including the Spindle Error Analyzer
- Data analysis techniques to extract the most information from your spindle performance measurements
- Spindle measurement pitfalls and how to avoid them
Table of Contents
- Preface...... v
- 1 - Introduction...... 1
- 2 - Spindle Metrology Concepts...... 15
- 3 - Test Instrumentation...... 39
- 4 - Data Analysis...... 59
- 5 - Production Equipment Case Studies...... 105
- 6 - Applications...... 127
- Bibliography...... 147
- Index ...... 159
- About the Author...... 161
Precision Spindle Metrology Book Review I (pdf)
Head of Metrology,
IWF of ETH Zurich
Chairman of ISO/TC 39, machine tools
Precision Spindle Metrology Book Review II (pdf)
Professor, Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan
Chairman of the ISO230-7 Working Group at JMTBA
About the Author:
Eric Marsh heads the Machine Dynamics Research Lab at Penn State where he is a professor of mechanical engineering. He holds Ph.D. and M.S. degrees from MIT for his research work with Professor Alexander Slocum’s Precision Engineering Group and is regarded as a leading expert in the measurement and understanding of machine tool performance, especially the axis of rotation.